I’m Bobby Voicu (pronounced Voiku – video on how to pronounce it here), serial entrepreneur, Romanian, startup co-founder at MavenHut, angel investor, mentor for startups (and accelerators like RebelBio and MVP Academy), living in Cork, in Ireland and visiting my home country, Romania, from time to time.
My full name is, actually, Bogdan Andrei Voicu, but thanks to my little sister, that couldn’t pronounce “Bogdan” when she was really young, I got named Bobby by everyone around me. And the name caught on, especially because Dallas was broadcasted on the Romanian TV at the time and everybody knew about Bobby Ewing :)
I started my first business at 16, selling PCs. I then had some offline businesses.
I started to work online in 2005, I’ve been the Romanian representative for Yahoo! in 2008, started a consulting business in online communication in 2006, been involved in building the blogging community in Romania, sold some blogs, co-founded a startup (MavenHut) in gaming, part of the 2012 cohort at Startup Bootcamp Dublin.
Now I’m mentoring startups and companies, I invest in some of them (not many). I’m still involved in MavenHut, though not operationally anymore.
– 2012 – co-founder of Mavenhut, a gaming company, as part of Startup Bootcamp Dublin.
– 2008 – 2012 – sold several websites and business built in the previous period of time (among them rpmgo.com and monden.info – now urban.ro)
– 2009 – started my own online communication consulting business
– 2008 – started to work for Yahoo! as the representative in Romania
– 2006 – started a 2 hours radio show in Romania (radiolynx.ro) about internet. The show lasted 6 years.
– 2005 – started to work as freelance on getafreelancer.com (now freelancer.com)