Email: me AT this domain name
I’m Bobby Voicu (pronounced Voikoo – video on how to pronounce it here), serial entrepreneur, startup co-founder at The CEO Library and MavenHut (read more about the company here). Previously I’ve been an angel investor, mentor for startups (and accelerators like RebelBio and MVP Academy).
Romanian living in Portugal.
My full name is, actually, Bogdan, but thanks to my younger sister, who couldn’t say “Bogdan” when she was really young, I became Bobby to everyone around me. And the name caught on, especially because “Dallas” was on TV in Romania at the time and everybody knew about Bobby Ewing :)
I started my first business at 16, selling PCs. I then had some offline businesses.
I started to work online in 2005, I’ve been the Romanian representative for Yahoo! in 2008, I started a consulting business in online communication in 2006, I’ve been involved in building the blogging community in Romania, sold some blogs, co-founded a startup (MavenHut) in gaming, part of the 2012 cohort at Startup Bootcamp Dublin. I recently launched The CEO Library, a place to find what books business people around the world recommend for their specific industry/space.
I’m also mentoring startups and companies and I invest in some of them (not many). I’m still involved in MavenHut, though not operationally anymore. I also took over operations at The CEO Library recently and I’m trying to understand what’s next there.
– 2017 – co-founder of The CEO Library
– 2016 – I started to invest in several funds: SOSV III, MVP Fund, as well as on my own in some companies (Freebusy, among them). I quit as CEO of MavenHut and I stopped operational involvement in MavenHut.
– 2015 – sold a big part of the games MavenHut produced to RockYou, an US company.
– 2012 – co-founder and CEO of Mavenhut, a gaming company, as part of Startup Bootcamp Dublin.
– 2008 – 2012 – sold several websites and business built in the previous period of time (among them autounleashed.com/rpmgo.com and monden.info – now urban.ro)
– 2009 – started my own online communication consulting business (closed in 2013 to solely focus on MavenHut).
– 2008 – started to work for Yahoo! as the representative in Romania (1 year, until 2009)
– 2006 – started a 2 hours radio show in Romania (radiolynx.ro) about internet. The show lasted for 6 years. It was early podcasting, I now realize.
– 2005 – started to work as freelance on getafreelancer.com (now freelancer.com)